How You Can Help
There are heaps of ways to help refugees start again in New Zealand!
Learn more about:
- becoming a volunteer and helping a new family settle in your area.
- donating to the work of New Zealand Red Cross Refugee Services.
- helping to turn a house into a home by donating quality furniture and household goods.
- fundraising for New Zealand Red Cross Refugee Services.
Or check out some of our ideas for:
- charitable trusts and foundations,
- faith groups and churches,
- schools and youth groups,
- and service groups.
You can support our work by making a grant to Red Cross Refugee Services or one of our projects. Is there a particular part of what we do that inspires you? Our volunteer programme? Our refugee caseworkers? Keeping new families warm in the winter? We would be more than happy to work with you on finding the perfect fit between your mission and our work.
- Encourage payroll giving amongst your staff.
- Invite a Red Cross Refugee Services speaker to share what we do with your employees.
- Work with our Pathways to Employment programme to give a work placement to a qualified former refugee.
- Offer gifts-in-kind to help refugee families set up home. Maybe you're upgrading the computers at your office or maybe you own a hotel and you're upgrading your beds. Let us know!
- Make a tax-deductible donation towards our work.
- Sponsor one of our events, projects or public awareness campaigns.
- Organise a bake sale or other fundraising event to benefit our work with refugees in New Zealand.
- Encourage members of your group or congregation to learn more about becoming a volunteer support worker.
- Bring together groups of volunteers to help at one of our events.
- Educate your members about what it means to be a refugee by inviting a Red Cross Refugee Services speaker to talk with your group.
- Hold a collection (furniture, in-kind goods, financial contributions, etc.) in aid of our work.
- Get your youth programmes involved with supporting former refugees.
- Invite cultural performers from refugee background communities to perform at events.
- Pray for the plight of refugees and those starting all over again.
- Discuss refugee issues in the classroom.
- Invite a former refugee or Red Cross Refugee Services speaker to share information about refugees in New Zealand and the refugee journey with your students.
- Gather a group of students to volunteer at one of our events.
- Encourage your students to learn more about the countries that refugees come from.
- Hold an event such as a bake sale or 'mufti day' to raise money for our work. You could even let the students organise it!
- Inform your members about our work by inviting a speaker from Red Cross Refugee Services to one of your meetings.
- If you are a group of crafters or have special skills, consider doing a project to benefit former refugees or donating your skills.
- Encourage your group members to learn more about our volunteer programme.
- Hold a furniture drive or fundraising collection.
- Think about a particular aspect of our work that relates to the mission of your organisation and decide how you might like to support it. We'd be more than happy to work with you to find the perfect fit!
- Hold a function such as a coffee morning in aid of refugees supported by the agency.
For support contact Teresa, 04 471 8250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org!